Back to Previous Page
Bookmarks for Jeff Potter
- Here's a list of sites I enjoy. At the top of each section in bold red are OYB advertisers: they're special people: they "get it" and act on it. A rare combo. If you visit any of their sites, let em know where you found em. --JP
Pinch Flat---a guy's bike blog, full of helpful bike lore
Angletech---seller, modifier, accessorizer and consultant for recumbents
Bicycle Classics---a rare resource for parts for quality vintage bikes
EasyRacers---the EasyRacers godfathers of recumbenteering, from recordsetting to grocerybikes, since the start---also supporting OYB since the start
Hostel Shoppe---the hugest store for recumbents and much else in the USofA, offering a wonderful free color print catalog
Vintage Bicycle Quarterly ---the only magazine of vintage bikes, versatile bike design, evaluation and history
Volae Recumbents ---a builder of the new breed of "high racer" bikes
TerraTrike (WizWheelz) Recumbent Trikes ---a lead player in the hot scene of 'bent trikes: comfort, stability and speed: from start to stop and even ice and snow
Practical Pedal -- new magazine, blog, website for useful everyday riding and more
Bicycle Fixation -- a website of bike glories, stories and city bike action
Cyclofiend -- ever more tasty, cutting edge bike culture
Bike Forest -- a huge gallery of homebuilt bikes; a super bike designing software program---intro version is free, I think; amazing project pics (canoe bike trailer action galore!); rockin' indy bike spirit
C.H.U.N.K.666 -- razy homebuilder chopper dudes
Classic Rendezvous -- roadbikes galore
Bicycle Paintings, by Taliah Lempert
Transportation Alternatives, NYC
'BentRider Online Magazine
Cycling News -- world bike racing news (UCI only)
VeloNews -- bike racing news (UCI only)
VeloVision -- diverse bike culture magazine site (all bikes)
The VVofA Home Page -- mt-bike cult guru VVA, also OYB book author
Rivendell Bicycle Works -- catalog of cool, hard to find, great bikes and bike stuff
HPV Home Page -- HPV info
Recumbents.com -- huge HPV info resource
Varna Innovation -- current world record speed bike
M5 -- source of fine Euro recumbents and low-racers
Birk -- gorgeous website for builder of gorgeous HPVs
Rowingbike -- the world's best row-bike: supercool, elegant, fast!
Crazy Joe Kochanowski's Bikes -- infamous homebuilder's "urban assault bike" website
- The Cross Country Ski Shop ---a great pro XC ski shop to hang out at and get cool stuff at, in Grayling, Michigan
NordicSkiRacer.com ---a friendly site for citizen skiers to learn a lot and have fun; Michigan emphasis
SnowFlea Telefest ---a bigtime downhome northwoods ski weekend with great food and music in Canada up near the Soo
- FasterSkier.com --racing news and info website
- NordicSkater --a huge variety of skates for touring, SPARK!sleds and other goodies
- Kicksleds --Dave Dermott's great info on this nifty device
- Cross Country Ski World --US Masters skiing, HQ of AXCS
- ERNordic Home Page
- Akers Ski, The X-C Specialists
- Silent Sports Magazine Home Page
- Long Haul Kayaks ---the best builder of folding kayaks, uses wood framing: classic yet most advanced
Kruger Canoes ---renowned builder of the partially decked, extremely versatile canoe design that Verlen Kruger used to paddle 100K+ miles of adventure waters over the past 20 years
- FoldingKayaks.org ---Mike Edelman's great roundup site for all things related to folding kayaks.
- peephens.org ---The world of the classic Peep Hen micro-cruiser sailboats, courtesy of, once again, Mike Edelman!
- Messing About in Boats OnLine --online resource for world's best small boat mag
- Craig O'D's Cheap Pages --fun boat stuff to make at home
- AdventureCorps ---a source for creative outdoor endurance events, hosted by Chris Kostman, a recordsetting racer who often participates in his own events. It's the home for the next big thing in U.S. ultra-cycling: the 2006 Trans-Am---the first self-supported race across America with no sleep deprivation.
- Bellevue Valley B&B ---a friendly and very affordable resort just north of the Soo with access to worldclass XC, backcountry, and rivers (host of the annual Snowflea Telefest!)
- Silent Sports Magazine ---the only magazine dedicated to aerobic outdoor sports and adventure. Friendly, personable, and all about events and sports that everyday people affordably do for health and fresh air. Has a Midwest emphasis with a whole-world orientation. Not slick or fancy: just great articles on bike, run, XC, paddle and all their friends, steadily for many years now.
- Uncommon Adventures ---an adventure, trip, guide and GOURMET FOOD service from one of the best in the business. Michael Gray has been making wonderful trips happen for people for decades now, to several amazing parts of the world that he knows well and shares expertly: Michigan, Montana, Florida, Honduras. Kayaking, flyfishing and great food are the focal points of what he offers: very affordably!
General Outdoors & Gadgets
- Raven Farm ---my brother Kelvin's sawmill, exotic lumberyard, farm and orchard
- Gulf Specimen Marine Lab ---the only independent marine life educational aquarium on the Gulf Coast---small and personable, but offering the most amazing things to see in a very natural setting (you'll hear birds in the trees as you wander from tank to tank). It's also a hardworking lab providing specimens for institutes all over. Hosted and started by OYB writer, Jack Rudloe (the thriller novel "Potluck").
- FindaScope.com ---Mike Edelman's HQ for DIY telescope action, great for the layman who just wants to look up, in focus.
- Organic Crop Improvement Association
- MICHIGAN DNR SNOWMOBILE MAPS
- Stickbow --longbow and recurve bow info
- Laguiole's famous french knives --cool, countrystyle knife
- Agri-Fab ® 21" Push --supposed to be world's BIGGEST and best push mower (I liked mine for my BIG yard)
- Victorinox. Original Swiss Army Knife
- Welcome to the GWPCA Website --German Wirehaired Pointer dog info
- NAVHDA Home Page --Versatile dog breeds info
- CMP --Civilian Marksmanship Program--where the public can shoot in military-style events and buy ex-military rifles of their own--best deals for target rifles.
- Fulton Armory --this guy shows you how to take care of your CMP M1
- Training for defense with a knife --real world drills
- Morgan & York ---a smallworld highclass wine, cheese and meats store, offering artisan and local foods
- Small World Coffee ---SWC offers hand-selected and hand-roasted coffee from a small team of owner-operators who are constantly called in to train (and rescue) the cafes and coffees that are supposed to be the best. You'll never find people more intense about the idea of "best service NOW." Talk about pro's!
- Bloodshot Records ---a Chicago record label that started today's "country punk" scene. They've greatly helped bring country back to its whisky, great voices and great songs roots. Hard-driving creative stuff. 10X as good as Nashville. Honkytonk lives!
- Richard Dobson Music ---Dobson plays trueblue Texas singersongwriter "folk'n'rockin" country. He's one of the Austin godfathers. He's been raved about by the likes of Townes v. Zandt, John Prine, Nanci Griffith, Steve Earle, Guy Clark. As a result we find him most appreciated in *Europe*, where he lives and regularly plays, tours and records. That is, he's a no-hoper for Nashville today. I reprint his "greatest hits" collection CD so we don't suffer too much over here in the U.S. Dobson also writes great reports, memoirs, stories and prose, a la his "Gulf Coast Boys" about his years touring with Townes and working oilrigs.
- Underground Literary Revolution --activism to improve the US literary scene
- Current Book of The Daily Bulletin --Jack Saunder's homepage for world literature
- Road Food --info and forums about good hinterlands eateries from Jane and Michael Stern
- A Michigan Slow Food blog ---Mike Edelman is into homestyle food. Here's his take on the southern Michigan slowfood scene.
- Welcome to Vagabond Productions --John Bennett, one of the last of the Beats -- for real! -- a legend of the underground and a prolific writer/publisher
- The Animal Rights FAQ
- Eye Control --our pal Joey's photo webblog
- Suckdog / Rollerderby -- Lisa Carver's candid pop culture website
- Nerve Magazine --sensualist site for brainy hedonists
- Zine World --the Reader's Guide to the Underground --the only big review zine
- Crad Kilodney --one of the best failed writers ever, Canadian, dead
- Intel Dump --a blog of military insights; pro-soldier, questions military
- West Side Bookshop ---a couple of left-handed guys run this classic used-and-rare bookstore in Ann Arbor. They do special work and help with fine bok repairs, all the time, forever and ever. They are also a dealer in Edward Curtis and Alfred Steiglitz photography. No website, yo. Personal service all the time. And staunch supporters of indie lit.
- Alternative Press Center Online Directory
- ABE--Book Search --great place to find cheap old books
- BookFinder.com: Search for Out of Print and Used Books
- Small Press Review
- PROJECT GUTENBERG --textfiles of public domain classics
- The Puhek Page --by the host of our weekly integrative studies meetings
- Peaceful Jihad --Islam explained for moderns
- Kebzeh --a Caucasus integrative technique applicable to any religion or worldview
- Water Buffalo Suzuki GS750---a cool old very fast stylish motorcycle, can be bought cheap
- Greatest all-vehicle racer of all time Do you know Tazio? Here's a great quick bio.
Back to Previous Page